Solid roots of effort and tradition have given the life-blood to wines exuberant, and full of fruit. Following grandfather Abele and father Adriano, the youngest generation, Armando and Franco, both of whom graduated in Oenology, have brought to the house of Adami a refined technological approach to the art of producing some of the best spumante wines of the Valdobbiadene. The direct involvement in the success of their Prosecco production is demonstrated in Franco’s current leadership of the Valdobbiadene Consorzio. This is how the family expresses the values of their land: sound work, respect for human relationships, a sense of hospitality and continuity between past and present. An estate, and above all, a family.
In 1920 Grandfather Abele purchased the "Giardino" vineyard (whose name “Zardini” dates to 1717) from Count Balbi-Valier. A southern facing amphitheatre with shallow calcareous soil, the Prosecco vines cling to chestnut stakes and it is here that the Adamis nurture the production of their greatest spumante that is recognized as Prosecco’s first "Cru".
The family's other vineyards include those in the steep Valdobbiadene hilly area, where mixed soils predominate. The clay, often calcareous, low-nutrient, and well-drained soil is fairly shallow, particularly at higher elevations. The climate is generally moderate, with cold winters and warm, but not humid, summers. Adami also has vineyards in the northern part of the Province of Treviso, just outside of the historical DOCG. These vineyards are at a lower altitude but still enjoy a similar climate of cool nights and hot days, ideal conditions for expressing the typical fruit nose of the Glera grape (previously known as Prosecco).
|APPELLATION(S)||Conegliano Valdobbiadene Prosecco DOCG, Treviso|
|PROPRIETORS||Armando and Franco Adami|
|ANNUAL PRODUCTION||69,000 cs|
(SUSTAINABLE, ORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC)
Adami now produces about 750,000 bottles with grapes from 50 hectares of vineyards, 12 of their own land, the rest farmed by other small growers with time-honored links to the winery, and sharing its commitment to quality.
The Giardino Vineyard - The development of viticulture in the hills of Valdobbiadene during the Renaissance also changed the appearance of the Colbertaldo area. An oak forest cut down between 1490 and 1542 was replaced by “plantings of vines and trees”, and the old name “Bosco di Gica” (“Gica Wood”) no longer seemed appropriate. The new name, “Zardin” (“Garden”), meanwhile, was perfectly suited to the charm of this rediscovered land. In a land register entry of 1717 it was changed to “Zardini” and subsequent Napoleonic and Austrian maps gave it the name of “Giardino”. The medieval intuition regarding the innate qualities of this land for winegrowing was reflected in the subsequent viticultural approach. This is a difficult territory, but one which is generous to those who dedicate their energies to its steep slopes. The soil is chalky, lean and shallow, lying directly on the bedrock, which emerges in places. The vines cling to chestnut poles in south-facing parallel rows, echoing the typical uneven contours of these slopes. The incessant, painstaking care needed to farm here confirm the “cru” status of this vineyard.
Col Credas - These steep slopes, which over the centuries served also as a means of defence, are today are the key to the quality and to the future of this area. The RIVE encompass all of this. The name Col Credas refers to Credazzo, a hill complex in Farra di Soligo, whose soils are marked by rich deposits of clay (creda, in the local dialect); Col Credas is one of the “Rive,” hillslope vineyards that are sometimes unbelievably steep. This single vineyard cru boasts a superb nose, spacious, well-balanced, and intense, laced with delicate floral notes of wisteria and acacia blossom. The palate progresses to an elegant finish remarkable for its crisp dryness.