The founder, Dr. Robert Weil, was a professor of German at the Sorbonne but was forced to leave Paris because of the pending Franco-Prussian War (1870-71). Dr. Weil purchased his first vineyards in Kiedrich, and he moved there in 1875, when he bought the estate manor from the heirs of Sir John Sutton, an English baronet. When he moved to Kiedrich, Dr. Robert Weil decided to expand his small vineyard holdings into a wine estate. A man of vision, he built up the estate by purchasing the property of two local wine estates and additional -vineyards from the Count of Fürstenberg.

Weingut Robert Weil is considered to be one of the Rheingau’s younger wine estates. It is located in the heart of Kiedrich, a village first documented in the year 950. Kiedrich Turmberg and Kiedrich Gräfenberg, the estate’s top vineyards, are among the finest sites in the Rheingau.

The estate cultivates 90 hectares (222 acres) of vineyards, of which 100 percent are planted with Riesling. Today, Wilhelm Weil, the great-grandson of the estate’s founder, carries on the tradition of uncompromising, quality-oriented vineyard and cellar practices – a tradition that has been the hallmark of the winery for four generations.

REGION Rheingau
WINEMAKER Wilhelm Weil

Kiedrich Turmberg and Kiedrich Gräfenberg are situated on a southwest-facing ridge and a steep cliff with inclines of up to 60 percent. Their soils consist of deep and medium-deep stony, fragmented phyllite partially mixed with loess and loam. This combination of barren stony soils, an ideal microclimate, steep inclination and southwestern exposure allows the grapes to hang on the vine for a very long time. The resulting wines are complex and rich in minerals, with great elegance and finesse.

The name Turmberg means “tower hill” and refers to the ruins of the medieval Burg Scharfenstein castle. It is a separate little hill, directly adjacent to the Gräfenberg, and is rated as premier cru. The German wine law of 1971 incorporated it into the Gräfenberg, but in 2005 it was reinstated as an individual, classified site. It is a monopole of Robert Weil. The 

Gräfenberg has been a renowned site since the 12th century. The name means “hill of the counts,” and it is undisputedly one of the greatest vineyards of the Rheingau. Its soil is of similar composition to the Turmberg — phyllite, loess and loam on a slate base — but the topsoil is deeper and heavier, and retains water better. 

The vineyards are cultivated in an environmentally friendly manner: organic fertilizer is used as needed; green cover is planted in alternating rows to optimize the humus content of the soil; herbicides are never used, and other protective measures are used only sparingly and with respect for habitat.

Grapes are harvested by hand, with an extremely critical selection that involves up to 17 rounds through the vineyards. The goal of this meticulous attention is to reap the finest fruit possible for wines in every Prädikat level.